Friday 21 September 2012

Right then - I'm off...

Right then… I think this is where I say goodbye…

…in so much that this will be my last pre-Sheffield TenTenTen post. I head off Up North tomorrow morning and will be home some 40 hours later. All being well, just under one of those forty hours will be spent running the 10k, though of course I have no aversion to spending even longer in Endcliffe Park before and/or after. If it ends up being a little over an hour, so be it – no worries, seriously. As long as I give it my best, the result itself is of secondary importance. I know I’ve put in as much training as possible (730k / 65 hours, since you ask – and a bit, but not enough, cross training) and I know I’m ready. Not sure whether I’m ready for the Bristol Half, but I’ll worry about that on Monday. I think I am – here’s hoping I don’t go and beggar it all up in South Yorkshire! Trail, downhill, lots of people… what could possibly go wrong?

PMA, Squintani: PMA! I genuinely believe that when you’re worried about something it’s more likely to happen, because you are overly conscious about it and that has a negative impact. Which is why I avoided my trail run this morning, preferring to take to the asphalt. I’ve had no problems with the trail run but it does have the potential to be treacherous, a potential I did not wish to increase by über-worrying. No such worries on the road…

…in fact, my heartfelt thanks to West Country Road Management, who have spent the week working on the section of Valley Road which I often use. You know, the dark bit, the one where cars don’t always see me and, ahem, don’t always remember to observe the 30mph limit… Anyway, it’s been closed all week for works. I was happy enough that it was closed to all but residents, so imagine my joy at discovering that they are actually relaying the tarmac for me ahead of the winter! It felt so much better this morning… that really is a nice touch. Remind me of it when I next moan about Council Tax!

That does mean, of course, that I am morally obliged to keep training during the winter. Some people have enquired as to whether I’ll stop once the Bristol Half Marathon is behind me. The short answer is ‘no’, although I will have to find myself a couple of new goals to ensure my body can still give that answer when the alarm rings at 6:15am. I don’t expect to be running five times a week and I’m unsure about the likelihood of weekly long runs. But three runs a week, be they in the morning or nearer lunchtime when WFHing (‘working from home’, that is), sounds both reasonable and appealing… well, verging on, given that I can’t stand running. One thing I do want to do is spend more time in the garage, which features a rowing machine (£30 a decade ago and really unspectacular), a weights bench (four years ago someone needed to store it somewhere and somewhat conveniently it’s still there – and, finally, getting some use!), an exercise mat (Amazon, £9.99!), a doorway pull-up bar (Amazon, £8.89!)… hmmm, that’s it. Plans to get an exercise bike still on hold. If the winter’s sufficiently clement I may just stick to what I prefer and cycle outdoors!
But yes, the goal now would be to work on my muscles a little. Weight-loss, as a goal, is redundant: weight-gain through swapping fat for muscle, however, may appeal. Or even just adding some muscle, even if not at the expense of fat: we’ll see. I just need a goal or I’m not going to bother. Similarly, I need a running goal or motivation will suffer. The plan is to run the Sheffield Half Marathon on May 12. What’s keeping me from signing up? Well, they’re not taking entries yet…

…more short-term, there is a multi-terrain 10k organised by Portishead Running Club on October 28. When I found out about that I wasn’t sure whether it appealed to me or not. On the one hand it’s on my doorstep, it’s along a path I know and enjoy; on the other, I quite enjoy the anonymity of my running efforts, not having to worry about being overtaken by people I know… As it happens, I needn’t give the matter any thought, on the basis we’ll be in Italy on 28/10 anyway. So the winter will probably be spent in that training anonymity (as much as glo-yellow/green/orange gear permits, mind) and in the garage. With an eye firmly on May… and a route that passes the road where I once lived as well as Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane.

So don’t worry (or do!), this blog is likely to survive the cold and rain of the coming months. I may post less frequently after the Half Marathon, but I’ll still be around. Besides, I’m of course going to let you know how these two races go, right? ‘Races’… let’s call them ‘runs’. I’m not racing against anyone, only myself and the notion that ten months ago I was over 25 kilos heavier and had just had a bit of my brain taken out. A lot of people achieve far more spectacular results in the face of far more challenging adversity. But we can but rise to the challenges we face and I’m happy with how these past five months have gone. Even without the two landmarks, the two goals and the two culminating moments that are coming up over the next nine days, I’d still be happy with the journey I’ve been on. But hey, having made it this far…


…and hey, thanks for making it this far with me. Oh, and Sheffield, I’m looking forward to spending 30h37’ “in your grey, wet buzzom!”, as Carl Maloney tweeted back in April. I look forward to seeing my cousins, my aunts, my uncles… and, now, to meeting up with Daz prior to heading back darn Saath! It’s only been a dozen years or so since we last met, but I’m sure we’ll find summat to natter abaat..!

No comments:

Post a Comment